Is making yourself pack-lunches one of your new year's resolutions? Try this gorgeous and hearty salad. It can be eaten lukewarm or cold and it is a meal on its own with complete proteins (chickpeas + red rice, edamame beans); lots of fibre; some good fat (olive oil) and complex carbs. A winner to keep you full and strong until dinner!
1/2 head cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and pat-dried
1 cup edamame beans, pre-cooked
300g wild red rice
1 tbsp medium curry blend (or make your own blend with turmeric, garam masala for example)
1tsp garlic salt
1/2 red onions (or a shallots), finely diced
Olive oil, red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180ºC. In a baking tray, mix the cauliflower, chickpeas, curry blend, garlic salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Pop in the oven to roasted for 15-20 mins until cauliflower is just tender (you want it to be still a bit firm)
2. Cook the red rice according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. Prepare your dressing: put the diced red onions into 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar and leave it to soak 5 minutes before adding 3 tbsp of olive oil (it will cut down the sharpness of the onion).
4. When rice still warm, mix in the salad dressing.
5. In a large bowl, mix the roasted cauliflower + chickpeas, the rice + dressing, the edamame beans. Season to taste with salt, pepper and possible with a bit more of olive oil or vinegar.
Notes: you can use coloured cauliflower, broccoli, etc. In the picture you will notice that there are white cauliflower florets and romanesco broccoli.